How to Be a Rule-Breaking Letterer: A Guide to Making Perfectly Imperfect Art
Break the rules, embrace imperfection, and express your unique self through lettering art!
This book is for anyone who's felt the pressure of perfection. As a schoolgirl in Vietnam and later in online lettering classes, Huyen Dinh was always told to perfect her penmanship. Instead, she started embracing her own imperfect style—with squiggly lines, cheeky messages, and pastel colors.
In this upbeat guidebook, Dinh walks you through the basic rules of lettering and then teaches you how to break them in clever and creative ways. She shares challenges and triumphs from her own artistic journey and offers inspiration as well as technical tips. You can use your new lettering skills to tell your personal story, support a cause you care about, or decorate your tote bags and sneakers! Fully illustrated in Dinh's signature pastel palette, this book is the perfect companion for any aspiring creative.
EVERYTHING YOU NEED IN ONE BOOK: This fresh and fun guide includes:
- Affirmations for a positive mindset
- Lettering language 101
- A step-by-step guide from brainstorming to finished art
- Inspiration for telling your story through lettering
- Fun DIY projects with how-to instructions
- And much more
MAKES LETTERING FUN: No need to sweat over creating technically perfect calligraphy. Instead, let this guidebook infuse your creative projects with fun. Lettering is a chance to explore your personal style and share your passions with the world.
EMPOWERING MESSAGE: By sharing her own story, Dinh offers inspiration for anyone who dreams of a creative career, especially other young Asian American women. This is an approachable and inclusive handbook for pursuing your artistic goals.
RISING STAR: Huyen Dinh's refreshing honesty and irresistible illustration style have resonated with thousands of fans online. Her lettering art has graced murals, sweatshirts, magazine covers, and more. With this book, she welcomes anyone to join her in creating perfectly imperfect lettering.
- Letterers, artists, and illustrators looking for a fun and practical resource
- Students of all ages looking for a creative outlet
- Casual creatives and hobbyists who love hand lettering, drawing with letters, and font, alphabet, and script design
- Fashionistas who want to add personal flair to their accessories
- Engaged couples doing hand-lettered DIY wedding invites
- Pinterest addicts and bullet journaling enthusiasts seeking new letter design ideas and inspiration
Praise for How to Be a Rule-Breaking Letterer: A Guide to Making Perfectly Imperfect Art
“A book for readers who have started and stopped a bullet journal after too many imperfect pages, uneven letters, off-center designs, or less-than-Pinterest-worthy drawings. It is a permission slip to learn rules in order to break them and to tell stories as unique as each person’s pen stroke. The author shares clear instructions for simple and highly creative DIY projects in an open, self-aware fashion that encourages readers to take creative risks.” —Library Journal